Sunday, September 16, 2012

DEATH'S SILHOUETTE




I have walked with you
More times than I can count
or keep track of, and I believe
You have coloured my life
since before I knew
How to articulate the sensuous
feelings you managed
To insinuate between
Breaths and beats
and bombastic bleatings
Of my young soul ...

Alliteration aside -
It did not take a poet
or a lyricist to recognize
you for who you are
But of course, in silence,
the artist in me rejoiced

For without so much
as lifting your veil
I would catch you peering
through Medusa-like tresses
Your face, as always, a mask
concealing your true intent
But as surely as a magnet
draws iron filings, I could not
resist your pull, might have
seemed nonchalant
as I sauntered in your direction

Seemingly sane, life-loving
My exterior a facade as rich
in deception as yours could be
But always bent on knowing
you as intimately as we both
would ultimately insist.


10 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I struggled with the words and you have used them most impressively. "sensuous
    feelings you managed To insinuate between Breaths and beats and bombastic bleatings" is absolutely spectacular. You have given Death a personality and a presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really enjoyed this, big feeling and seamless use of the words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Medusa-like tresses... can just picture her peeking through... and I love the characterization of death, Sharon. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. LOVE this spill:
    "To insinuate between
    Breaths and beats
    and bombastic bleatings
    Of my young soul ..."

    Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lines that De mentioned and these...
    'But always bent on knowing
    you as intimately as we both
    would ultimately insist.'

    brought out the WOW in me:) This is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My words are in there somewhere, but fit in seamlessly! A great characterization of "death". I love what you've done with this, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, this is dark, yet, beautifully haunting. Nice job with the words.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine Death being many things...The Crow just one personification. Black, haunting...the beady bird eyes looking at your souls depths. The last stanza, could be the opening to a Poe tale.

    I'm here:
    http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/09/sunday-whirl-74stroll.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that Marianne captured the essence .... I can only stutter WwwwwwOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hauntingly real.Death and Medusa's snake-head are grim reminders. Nicely Sharon!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete